Friday, October 3, 2014

Illinbucks

          Many things on campus are allocated to students on a first come first serve basis. I would like to share a little bit my experiences with this policy. In college life, most of us will experience making appointments with advisors, professors, and even with classmates too. Let’s take office hour as an example. Office hour is usually students bring questions or concerns to a certain time to find professors, and to have conversation with professors. There are usually two types of ways to do so. You can either make an appointment with professors ahead of time, or you can walk-in and first comes serve first. This is a great example that “making an appointment” is kind of like an allocation of “Illinibucks” and walk-in is more like the policy of “first come first serves.” Some professors will take both appointments and walk-in and appointment at the same amount of 1 or 2 hours. Others will usually write down on the syllabus of certain date for walk-in and certain day for appointments.

          Students who are taking advantages of “making appointments with professors” are kind of using “Illinibucks” to move to the head of time. Enable to utilize “Illinibucks” in this situation, I think students have to have the characters of eager to learn, willing to take initiatives, and plan their time earlier and more efficient.

           Another experience I would like to share will be more in the category that I use “Illinibucks” to be in the head of the line. There was a time when I was still in Stony Brook University; I made my decision to transfer to here, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. The Admission office called me to let me know that I was not qualified for the Hospitality program, so if I would like to be admitted, I had to submit an appeal form. I had no idea how to write an appeal form at that time, and I really needed someone to help me out. So I e-mailed my writing professor Hugh and asked if I could make an appointment with him. It was kind of at the last minute so he didn’t get a chance to reply back. Then, with the urgent situation, and because of the close relationship we have developed throughout the year, I texted him and he responded back saying that he would delay his appointment with another students, and I was ahead of the line to meet with him. He spent 3 hours to help me to polish my appeal form, which fortunately also contributed to my admission process to UIUC. That was a time I used “Illinibucks” to cut the line, and to be ahead of the game.

           Personally, I will spend my “Illinibucks” when I really need help and it is kind of emergency. I think the administrative cost will definitely be higher, because it takes more effort into managing and reorganize the time and effort. It requires a look of work for time management especially. 

          Lastly, relate back to our life, in every hospital, most of the chances that there will be an emergency department. Emergency Department will be under more efficient administration and low cost if people only use it with emergency. Or the hospital might make more money by the truth that more people are visiting, but patients has to wait more time, and there are more transition cost happening in this process. It will be less efficient too.


2 comments:

  1. Your stories are interesting, though I think you didn't quite apply the Illinibucks idea properly in what you told. Instead, especially with getting assistance from your writing instructor, he acted like a "Triage Officer." These are doctors who act in an emergency situation to determine which patients need care immediately and which can afford to wait - their situation is not life threatening. Your friend Hugh determined that your situation was sufficiently important that you couldn't wait.

    But he was operating on the supply side. Illinibucks work so that you on the demand side can move to the front of the line. It really is a different mechanism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the response. There is just a small part I need some clarification. When I am using my "Illinibucks" to move to the front of the line, I am the person who are on the demand side, because I am the one who need help. So the Illinibuck here will be people whoever demand help from professor can use the Illinibuck. I don't see how it is affected by the truth that Professor is on the supply side?

    ReplyDelete