Friday, October 24, 2014

Lower Your Future Risk

We are all in some stage of college education, and we have a variety of different experiences coming from college as well as outside, including paid and non-paid job, volunteering, campus involvement and etc. To keep an eye toward the future and reducing income risk, you could either continue doing what you are doing and making wise choices yourself, or you could also get some assistance from people you have network with, such as your older sibling or friends, or relatives, so on so forth.

Personally, I am doing both. I am making effort to continue making my own campus experience to help me in the future career, and at the moment, I also consider doing something else to make me more competitive in the job market when I graduate, as well as to avoid some income risk. I have a campus paid-job and there are some committees I am involved with that have great workshops or trainings to enrich my knowledge for future. They usually invite some guest speakers to campus, to talk about their experiences right after college, or people who are in the industry for a while. A lot of time, they will share their own experiences of how they deal with some of the struggles, and what are some tips they can give to us, as college students. What some of other students do is to pick up a major that can lead them to better placement or income in the future. This might works but the trend is always changing so there is some risk if you decide to do it. My cousin studied Biology Engineering in University of Michigan when he was an undergraduate, when a lot of anticipation of how this area is going to be more popular and can make a lot of money. After he graduate, the economy is not doing well, and the field was not longer popular and he can't find a job because of the big context in the job market. I suggest people to pick up something they like, or at least not hate, and continue doing it. It might be a wiser choice to just follow the trend because trend is something unpredictable. 

From there, I also kind of make some network and connections with people from LinkedIn, from career fair, and as many resource I can utilize as possible. To share a little story that once I have asked a recruiter from Bank of America that if she could go through my resume and give me some suggestions. One of the feedbacks she gave me was that it is good to get suggestions from people who are more experienced than you, but always keep in mind that different people have different pathway, that sometimes what is beneficial to some people won’t necessarily have benefit to you.

So my point is that there are a lot of ways we can develop to reduce risks for future through pushing yourself to do more stuff and also taking suggestions from other people, but do make sure keep in mind that first, you may not get benefits from other people’s experience; and second that those people who you ask suggestions from, they haven’t been through everything either, and they are trying to learn to lower their risk for their future too. Lastly, when we are talking about lower future risk in anything, a lot of times we are talking about in short term, but not long term. Some of the things might help with lower risks in short term, but not your whole life. You will have to keep your eye opened and always learning.


2 comments:

  1. I was interested to see that your focus is fairly near term - with a focus on your first job. What you do in College might help you get some interviews, but if the rest of college is making you very productive in that first job what will happen when you move up the ladder or change fields? The best way to self-insure in the current market is to have very good learning-to-learn skills so that you can adapt to changes in the market, which surely will happen. I also think a good sense of humor can help, as there are bound to be disappointments, and they can overwhelm you if you don't have some mechanism that helps you take them in stride.

    Some other students wrote about trying not to incur debt while in college. That can make things feel safer, but if you expect the returns from the investment to be quite strong, then and you don't have the cash on hand to finance the activity, then taking on debt is a good risk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For my first job after college, some actions I have done is work in the career center, to get into the job market, how to prepare for job search, and also help other students to achieve their career development. With this job, it has help me with my network too.
      Recently, I am considering an entry level banking position to help me with internship search. I think a variety of experiences would help with you first job, and it is better to learn how to sell it.

      Delete